English for Aviation is written by two authors with vast experience in teaching aviation English. The material has been authenticated by pilots, air traffic controllers and aviation English trainers in countries such as Spain, France, Italy, Brazil, Asia, and the Middle East.
The book has eight units taking you from pre-flight checks, through the flight path, to switching off the engines, with all content aligned to ICAO 'Operational Level 4' guidelines. Events covered include ground movements, departure, cruising, contact and approach, and landing.
The course supports standard radiotelephony phraseology and helps to improve your plain English in the skill areas specified by ICAO, such as pronunciation, structure, vocabulary, fluency, comprehension, and interactions.
English for Aviation is an ideal short course for pilots and air traffic controllers who need to prepare for the language fluency test required by the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO).
Unit 1: Introduction to air communications
Setting the scene, radio communication, non-routine situations.
Unit 2: Pre-flight
Pre-flight checks, local conditions, delays and problems.
Unit 3: Ground movements
Airport markings and airside vehicles, taxiing and holding, weather problems.
Unit 4: Departure, climbing, and cruising
Take-off, encountering traffic, warning about hazards.
Unit 5: En route events
Operational situations, unusual events, medical situations.
Unit 6: Contact and approach
Descent, circuit joining, approach and landing problems.
Unit 7: Landing
Landing incidents, runway conditions, landing hazards.
Unit 8: On the ground
Taxiing, getting to the gate, clear communication.
- Engaging topics, motivating role-plays, and a variety of exercises provide a framework for each specialist subject
- Tip boxes in each unit include key language points, useful phrases, and strategies
- STARTER section at the beginning of each unit has warm-up and awareness-raising activities
- OUTPUT sections at the end of each unit encourage discussion and reflection
- Answers, transcripts, and a glossary of useful phrases at the back of each book
- Self-study material on the interactive MultiROM includes realistic listening extracts and interactive exercises for extra practice