English for Telephoning teaches you strategies for communicating by telephone, and trains you how to sequence a conversation. The course builds up your confidence to communicate effectively during a telephone call.
English for Telephoning has six units which deal with specific areas related to communicating by telephone, including spelling over the phone, and leaving and taking messages. Skills become more advanced as the course progresses.
Exercises in every unit allow you to review your telephone English, learn new expressions, and practise core grammatical structures.
English for Telephoning is an ideal short course for those who need to make effective telephone calls in English in a business context.
Unit 1: Shall I put you through?
Telephoning basics, identifying yourself, getting through.
Unit 2: Could you spell that for me?
Exchanging and checking information, spelling over the phone.
Unit 3: Let me get back to you on that
Voicemail greetings, leaving and taking messages, prepositions.
Unit 4: When would suit you?
Making and confirming arrangements, times and dates, mobile phone calls.
Unit 5: I'm very sorry about that
Making and dealing with complaints, technical support, telephone customer care.
Unit 6: How does that sound?
Making and reacting to proposals, reaching agreements.
- Engaging topics, motivating role-plays, and a variety of exercises provide a framework for each specialist subject
- Tip boxes in each unit include key language points, useful phrases, and strategies
- STARTER section at the beginning of each unit has warm-up and awareness-raising activities
- OUTPUT sections at the end of each unit encourage discussion and reflection
- Answers, transcripts, and a glossary of useful phrases at the back of each book
- Self-study material on the interactive MultiROM includes realistic listening extracts and interactive exercises for extra practice